From a long time ago, all the way to the 24th century- spread out to galaxies far, far away and even planets closer to home. From the cities of Earth, like New York City and West City, to the great cities of Coruscant and Neptonian. Here, the men, women, mutants, aliens, elves, hobbits and those other odd creatures of the bloggersphere boldly go where no blogger has gone before. For one may not always be a hero, but one can always blog...

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

An Intergalactic Whatinator?

OK, here's my intro.

My name is Jon, I'm a Gemini, I like long walks on the beach and the color blue.

34/M/Chicago, IL, USA

What made you start a blog like this?
For a long time, I've joked with my friends that being an intergalactic gladiator was my dream job. I thought about creating a blog about it for a while, but I just never did until I stumbled across Billoda's blog. After a hearty chuckle, I started working on one of my own.

Why did you choose your particular character?
I am me. That is, I am me as an Intergalactic Gladiator. I throw in some real life stuff, then I fight a space vampire or something. Though in real real life, I think I am a little less macho and a little more funny...

If you post often, where do you get your ideas?
All over. Obviously, I throw in some funny stuff from my real life. Other than that, I want to go anywhere that suits my desire to tell a story. As an "Intergalactic Gladiator" I cross over frequently into other universes with little explanation. I don't want to sit and explain why I am singing at the Jedi Temple right after I visited the Enterprise, I just want to do it.

Interestingly enough, I really don't post about being a gladiator that much. I have established the Fire Islands of Planet Hacknor and the Intergalactic Gladiator Entertainment (formerly Intergalactic Gladiator Federation), but writing about being in a gladiator arena isn't that interesting to me unless I'm using it to further a storyline.

Where do you find pictures for use on your blog?
Google. If I had Photoshop skills, I'd be dangerous. I do most of my photomanipulation with MS paint.

Any other tips?
I've recently discovered the beauty of the multi-part story. I can drag a lame premise about being hunted by a vampire on and on and on. I do, however, still like the quick one-post post. I alternate between the two.

Also, I like having another character on my blog as well. First I had Jo Jo the Monkeyboy, an unfunny comedy relief sidekick. His whole point of existence was to be as annoying as possible and then die. I now have Private Hudson, who I am really beginning to enjoy writing. He's basically a coward and a misogynist. All the things I am not. Yeah.

Also also, if I could offer one piece of advice to any blogger, it would be this: be the best writer you can. Proofread your work, then when you publish it, read it again. Find alternatives to common words like "said," "happy" and "mad." I know I'm not perfect and I don't want to tell anyone how he or she should write, but writers should always write with the audience in mind and whatever.

Also also also, one other thing. Don't be a sellout. It's not about the money, it's about the music. Yoda, I'm looking at you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Master Yoda said...

Don't be a sellout. It's not about the money, it's about the music. Yoda, I'm looking at you.

Unfortunately, I haven't made enough money yet to be called a "sellout". So far, I'm barely a "rentout". I still have to work my way up to "sellout".

But I'm trying real hard. Maybe someday. Yes, maybe someday I'll be known as a huge sellout. One can only hope.

12:09 PM

 
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

And when you are, I'll be right there to mooch!

12:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(ooc) great advice :) though life would be easier if the spelling checker actually worked for me lol :P

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home